Monday, June 25, 2012

Fifty ways to see your Roses.... part 3



I've been thinking about the challenge of flower photograpahy: that it is over done.  When I was in Amsterdam recently, I was reminded of the power of the original baroque still life painters; their ability to convey the luxury of ordinary things for an emerging, wealthy bourgeoisie.  It was a break from religious painting.  It was self centred in a way.

It was the Protestant declaration that we are here.  We are rich.  We are going to tame the material world.

The Dutch understood the American dream way before the Americans did.  What will the Chinese version look like?

But I digress.  The old Dutch masters inspired me to try and photograph a rose in fifty ways that haven't been seen before.

It starts tomorrow.

No comments:

Search This Blog